The 2012 J&P Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show kicked off in Atlanta, GA on November 2-4, 2012 with builders coming in from as far as Chicago and Dallas. And it was worth the trip for these metal artisans as they garnered four out of six top awards.
The IronWork Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award was handed out by Vincent Stemp to Kyle Shorey for his Speedmetal custom bike. The bike will be featured in an upcoming issue of the magazine.
Kyle Shorey of Shadetree Fabrications took the win in the FreeStyle class at the Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show in Atlanta with Speedmetal. The bike doubled up on trophies as it also took IronWork’s Magazine Editor’s Choice award and will be featured in the magazine in an upcoming issue. The bike began life as a customer’s Saxon Crown chopper. The wheels, engine, brakes and tranny were salvaged from the donor bike. A key feature of the bike is the prototype springer, which will be available to the public shortly.
1. Kyle Shorey, Shadetree Fabrications - Speedmetal
2. Kyle Shorey, Shadetree Fabrications - Black Betty
3. Don Parkinson, Biker’s Dream - Shake Spear
Modified Harley was won by a builder new to the Harley market, Blacksmith Motoring. The bike features 8 stage candy paint with ghost graphics, cholo exhaust system, acid etched ape hangers Blacksmith Diamond 21” Front, 16” Rear and Remote Air Ride.
1. GIO, Blacksmith Motoring - El Puro Vato, 2005 Deluxe
2. Dell Battles -Orange Crush, 2009 Roadglide
3. Steve Studstill, Biker’s Dream - Top Gun, 2006 Roadking
Garwood Custom Cycles’ Neptune Crisp took the win in the Performance Custom Class at the Ultimate Builder in Atlanta. The 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 features a 19" Front Wheel, 300 Wide Tire kit with Chrome RC Component Wheels, Air FX Air Ride System and Braided Brake Lines. Dual blue/ white light kit with remote and headlight halo makes the bike glow.
1. Steve Garwood, Garwood Custom Cycles – Neptune, 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
2. Steve Garwood, Garwood Custom Cycles – Turbusta, 2004 Suzuki GSX 1300R
3. Steve Garwood, Garwood Custom Cycles – Crisp, 2011 Suzuki GSX 1300R
Michael Lewis of Violent Choppers took the win in Retro Modified with Flat Busted, a 1947 Harley-Davidson UL Flathead. The rigid custom retro bobber features a Harley Flathead 80” engine, a S&S Super E Carb and a deep black paint job by Kelvin McKeig.
1. Michael Lewis, Violent Choppers - Flat Busted, 1947 H-D UL Flathead
2. Kevin Kaspar - Skank Banger, 1968 H-D Shovel
3. Jonathan Vershure, Custom Café - CB750 Café Racer, 1980 Honda CB750
GIO from Blacksmith Motoring drove in from Chicago to debut his latest build, El Vendetta, and took the win in MOD Street at Ultimate Builder. The 2008 Yamaha Retroliner turbo-charged Blacksmith 120ci stroker with forged pistons, lighten crank and Blacksmith heads & intake. The bike rolls with a 26” front wheel, air ride and 6 piston Hawg Halters brakes.
1. GIO, Blacksmith Motoring - El Vendetta, 2008 Yamaha Roadliner
2. Chip Simmons, Simmons Motorworks - 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
3. Charlie Michael, Garwood – Jaded, 2002 Yamaha Roadstar